Sarcoxie School District- Big Savings with Solera Energy
We recently completed a solar project with the Sarcoxie School District, making it the largest array to date in the state of Missouri’s public education system. The school district already had utility companies that were willing to pay for some of the costs associated with solar, but we wanted to make sure that the school district was able to access the other incentives that were available to them such as investment tax credits and MACRS (Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System). We utilized a Solar Service Agreement to allow schools to monetize their tax-based incentives and provide them an easy and seamless way to finance their solar arrays. This afforded several key benefits:
- No Out-of-Pocket Expenditures- this helps with their bond ratings and budgets
- No Maintenance or Operation Expenses- no need to hire and train a solar technician for the schools
- Long Term Accountability for Production- our production is guaranteed
Every solar array the Sarcoxie School District is using is linked to the schools’ STEM and vocational tech courses. This will create a living laboratory for children to use and study, giving them an in-depth look at the fastest growing industry in the US (and abroad).
The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) has created additional opportunities for schools and districts to save even more money. Some projects could qualify to receive as much as 50% of costs paid for through these new incentives.
With our Solar Service Agreement, we were able to save the Sarcoxie School District millions of dollars over the life of the system. This was a direct result of the IRA, increasing utility rates and economy of scale in construction.
The time is now to take advantage of these incentives!
Schools and School Districts see several advantages like:
- No capital expenditures
- No maintenance or operating expenses; Superintendents and boards are inherently risk averse. We have taken that to heart and created a program that de-risks solar at every stage.
- Immediate savings; Millions over the life of the array
- Living laboratory for students; Curriculum integration
- Demonstrate stewardship of taxpayer dollars; Fiduciary responsibility