Going Solar in 2021: Why Solar Energy is the Future
3 Reasons Why Solar Power is the Energy of the Future (And What That Means for Homeowners)
Here at Solera Energy, we make it our business to stay on top of energy trends in the U.S. When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, we weren’t sure what to expect. But despite the uncertainty facing all businesses during this unprecedented global emergency, we didn’t think solar installation would stall completely – and we were right. In fact, thanks to a few key factors, solar power continues to rise in prominence and popularity.
Why Even More Homeowners Will Switch to Solar Power in 2021
- Solar power tax breaks – Most states are offering robust tax break incentives to homeowners and businesses alike for building their solar energy capacity. Based on our survey of the market, we expect these breaks to continue well into 2023 at least.
- The cost of solar continues to decline – Much like laptops, smartphones, and other high-tech gadgets of the 21st century, the cost of solar technology is declining rapidly. In fact, over the last ten years, the cost to install solar power solutions has decreased by as much as 70% as technology becomes more efficient.
- Demand is rising, and solar power is becoming demystified – The increased affordability of installation has caused demand for solar energy solutions to skyrocket. As more and more homeowners begin to experience solar energy’s convenience, reliability, and cost savings, they tell their neighbors.
The Benefits of Investing in Residential Solar Power
- Solar power means lower electric bills. Solar panel installation can lead to your electric bills shrinking by half or even all the way down to zero in those summer, sun-abundant months. As long as the sun is shining, your solar energy solution is earning back the money you paid for it.
- Maintenance is low-key. Other than an annual cleaning and panel inspection by a professional, there’s really not a lot to solar panel maintenance. And with few moving parts, expensive replacements are very rare.
- Your roof gets a new lease on life. If you think about it, it’s obvious. Solar panels are installed on top of your roof, and are designed to be fully protected from harmful elements like snow, rain, and debris. That means your roof is also protected.
- Solar energy increases your property value. Recent studies suggest that investing in solar energy has as good return on investment as a kitchen remodel. Potential home buyers are excited by the modernity, environmentalism, and potential cost savings, meaning a home with solar solutions will stand out in any real estate market.
- You’re harnessing a clean, renewable energy source. Solar energy is clean, and it never runs out. (Unless the sun disappears, but we’ll all have bigger problems if that happens!)
Other Things to Consider About Solar Power
We are (obviously) huge proponents of solar energy, but we also believe in being transparent. Like anything, solar energy has its drawbacks, which should factor in deciding if you want to make the switch. Further considerations include:
- The start-up costs of solar panel installation are higher than remaining on the grid. This cost is decreasing year over year, but between the panels, batteries, wiring, inverter, and installation, it’s a lot of hardware on the front end.
- Efficacy of your solar panels depends somewhat on the weather. We want to be clear – your solar panels WILL still work during cloudy or rainy days, but just like satellite TV, there will be a drop in performance. Though most people use solar energy as a companion or supplement to grid power, this shouldn’t impact your day to day too much.
- Solar solutions are…large. I mean, you’ve seen the panels. They’re gigantic. It’s true that some roofs are not big enough to fit the number of solar panels you may need.
One of our technicians can help you navigate the switch to solar and understand what these benefits and drawbacks mean to you! Call us at (866) 346-2009 or contact us online today to learn more.